Joshimath is one of the four ‘maths’ located in Chamoli District, located in the Indian state of Uttarakhand. It is miraculously blessed with various fantastic attractions and sightseeing destinations. Joshimath spreads its celestial aura in the entire Garhwal region of Uttarakhand. It is also known as Jyotirmath and is the winter home of Lord Badri, whose idol is brought down from Badrinath temple to Vasudeva temple at Joshimath. Joshimath is also a popular hill station with Hathi parvat and mystifying Himalayan Peaks. Also, the two mighty rivers, the Alaknanda and Dhauliganga meet at the confluence of Vishnuprayag overlooking the town of Joshimath.
Why visit Joshimath?
According to Indian ideology of living, religion and dharma are considered to be the two main elements of one’s life. The Joshimath temple successfully restores our faith in the divine energy. It is one of the four maths or monasteries that were established by Adi Guru Shankaracharya in the 8th century AD. One can see Kalpvrikhsha, the oldest tree of India which is believed to be 1200 years old. Other attractions include temple dedicated to Narashima, Hanuman, Gaurishankar, Ganesha, Naudevi and Surya. Joshimath is being turned into a major winter travel destinations as the government introduced winter Chardham Yatra.
Places to watch out for?
Here is the list of the most happening places, things to do, picnic spots for a memorable vacation in Joshimath.
1)Auli – It is considered to be one of the best skiing destination of India situated at a distance of just 10 kms.
2) Auli ropeway – It is the major spot in Auli offering magnificent and majestic Himalayan views situated at 10kms from centre of Joshimath.
3) Nanda Devi National Park- The area is reputed as one of the most spectacular wilderness in the Himalayas and is dominated by ‘Nanda Devi Peak’ at a distance of 17.3 kms from Joshimath.
4) Kalpavriksha – Kalpavriksha is an old Mulberry tree having a lot of historical, holy and religious significance in India.It is at a distance of just 3 kms.
5) Sri Shankracharya Math – Shri Shankracharya Math is a monastery in Joshimath established by Adi Jagatguru Shankaracharya. It is 0.5kms from centre of Joshimath.
6) Narsingh Temple – Narsingh Temple is a popular temple in Joshimath. Famous as a part of Sapt Badri, Narsingh Temple is also called as Narsingh Badri Temple . It is a distance of 0.5kms.
7) Other attractions – Some other attractions are Bhavishya badri, Bhavishya kedar, Tapovan Joshimath, Niti, Chenab Lake, Thiang Village, Chenap Valley and Vishnuprayag.
The climate is Joshimath falls under mountainous climate of Himalaya. The altitude of Joshimath is around 1890 m. From march to the beginning of October, the temperature in the town remains pleasant. The summer time from April to June is extremely pleasant. During rainy season, the continuous rainfall dips the temperature. The autumn season is also pleasant.
How to reach Joshimath?
The nearest and the most easily connected place is New Delhi. One can easily reach Joshimath if he/she reaches New Delhi.
- New Delhi to Haridwar : Bus(6-7 hours)/ Train(6-7 hours)/ Airplane (1 hour).
- Haridwar to Joshimath : Bus(10-11 hours)/car/jeep(9-10 hours).
Hotels near Joshimath:
Top places to stay and Hotels in Joshimath are Dream Mountain resort which is 25 kms from Auli and one can also easily find tents near the mountain valley to have a wonderful over night stay.
So, to find the inner peace and to gain positive energy, one should definitely visit Joshimath.